Let's Rave - A Very Great Britain

 


 


Thanks to my little sister, Leona Yung who also helped me give the map its groove 

I made this and I like it a lot, it's very me 

Maps and locations seem to have featured a lot in my blogs, which is no surprise really as the notion of home and sense of belonging is ever more prominent in my thoughts as we fast approach the deadline of Brexit. It's extremely emptying having to deal with the repercussions of a world changing decision that you never asked for, one that impacts all aspects your own life from travel to work and personal relations. 

The 31st December is not something I look forward to because we are shrinking and being isolated at great expense. Why anyone would choose this, I cannot relate and I do not want to. 

Here is a map that I was going to use as the background for my audio and video recordings. I was told by the organisers it made one of them feel like they wanted to throw up. At first, I tried to not hear that, I've never had that effect with my art work before, but I guess it's not too late to be back with my old friends the Chapman Brothers and an infant terrible. Well, to be fair, they have a point, looking at the map of England and thinking about where we are at, it is kind of vomit inducing. 

I wanted a poppy and energised visual to contrast the difficult, heavy reality of this pandemic that we live in right now. I wanted something for the launderette owners themselves to take a look at and feel as bright as our connections and conversations. 

In the end, I am settling on a more mono tone that is less rave and more sedate.  I am happy with that too, and as you hopefully might be getting to know me by now, I am tongue in cheek a little. 

I think it will also look good, after all, it is Great Britain. 





Comments